Domestic Partnership Lawyer in Eugene

Representing People in Oregon Domestic Partnerships

Oregon is one of the few states in the country to grant domestic partnership rights to same-sex partners seeking to enjoy similar rights as married couples. Same-sex couples can register a domestic partnership to enjoy these rights protected by state statute. Even if you do not register a domestic partnership, you still may have rights under the laws, especially laws related to property division. At the law firm of Barbara M. Palmer, P.C., in Eugene, Oregon, we represent people who plan to register as domestic partners, and those living in unmarried yet committed relationships.

If you are interested in learning more about domestic partnerships in Oregon, contact us to schedule an initial consultation with an experienced lawyer.

Beginning a Registered Domestic Partnership

Same-sex couples can complete a Declaration of Domestic Partnership, which is a document that legally recognizes your domestic partnership. Our firm will educate you about the process and the rights that it affords to you and your partner.

Terminating a Registered Domestic Partnership

Along with the benefits that you receive by entering into a domestic partnership, you will also have many of the same obligations as married couples. A domestic partnership is a binding relationship that you must legally terminate to end. Many of the same issues that arise during a divorce now arise during the termination of your domestic partnership. Our firm will help you navigate the issues related to:

Issues Involving Children

It is important to know that the children of a domestic partnership need to be adopted by the non-biological parent in order to qualify for health insurance benefits at some workplaces. Also, by formally adopting the child, you are granted rights as a parent that would not be afforded to you by the laws of another state, even though you are obviously the child’s parent.

Contact a Eugene Domestic Partnership Attorney

We handle cases involving domestic partnerships for heterosexual couples and same-sex couples who have not registered a domestic partnership. Whether you have a registered domestic partnership or you are living as a committed couple, you should contact an experienced family law attorney to represent you. To learn more about domestic partnerships in Oregon, contact a lawyer at the law firm of Barbara M. Palmer, P.C., for an appointment.