Oregon Post-Divorce Modifications Lawyer

Spousal Support | Child Support | Child Custody

Sometimes circumstances change after a divorce, warranting the modification of existing child custody and support arrangements. A parent may lose a job or a child may no longer get along with the custodial parent. At the law firm of Barbara M. Palmer, P.C., in Eugene, Oregon, we represent parents wishing to modify custody and support plans according to their and their children’s needs.

Contact us today at 541.485.8114 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Post divorce modifications can be as simple as both parties signing documents or filing with the court stating the new agreement. However, you must follow the existing court order until the changes are approved by the court.

Parents can modify the following arrangements:

Child Custody

If a joint custody arrangement is not working for you or your child, the court will modify the custody agreement, giving one parent sole legal custody. However, if one parent already has sole custody, the court order is much harder to modify. When making decisions to modify these orders, the courts consider:

  • Whether either parents parenting ability has changed
  • Who is the primary parent
  • Parental involvement with the children
  • Abuse between parents
  • Which parent is more likely to facilitate a good relationship with the other parent
  • And other factors that indicate what is in the child’s best interest

Child Support

In Oregon, the district attorney’s office will recalculate your child support payment every three years if you request the review. If you have a substantial change in circumstances — such as remarriage, a promotion or loss of job — you can apply to modify the plan earlier in court.

Spousal Support

Spousal support (or alimony) may be modified if someone has a significant change in income, such as if someone retires from his or her job. The court has the discretion to backdate the increase or decrease in support payments from the date the non-modifying party was served.

To learn more about post-divorce modifications, contact our office in Eugene, Oregon, to schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney. Whether you want to modify a parenting time plan, receive more child support, or reduce alimony, Attorney Barbara M. Palmer can advise you on the best way to meet your needs.